This is Siti
She is 10 years old and up till last year, she worked on a garbage dump in Jakarta, Indonesia. Every day, she looked for recyclable materials such as plastic bottles to make some money. Terre des Hommes is committed to stop this kind of child exploitation. Together with a local partner, Terre des Hommes helps children like Siti to go back to school. Young people are given the opportunity to follow vocational training which gives them a chance of a better future. Parents receive information about the importance of education. For Siti, the support of Terre des Hommes has helped out a lot: instead of working at a garbage dump, she’s now working on a promising future at school.
Terre des Hommes Netherlands
Terre des Hommes Netherlands is active in fifteen countries (and provides emergency aid in two countries), across four continents.
Terre des Hommes Netherlands is dedicated to putting a stop to child exploitation in developing countries. We work with local project partners and are active in fifteen countries (and provide emergency aid in two countries) spread across four regions: Southeast Asia, South Asia, East Africa and South America.
The organisation's head office is located in The Hague. To ensure fruitful and effective interaction with local partners, Terre des Hommes Netherlands has regional offices in each of the four regions: in Jakarta (Indonesia), Colombo (Sri Lanka), Nairobi (Kenya) and Cochabamba (Bolivia). The regional offices coordinate cooperation with local project partners.
In order to achieve its objectives, Terre des Hommes Netherlands has clustered its activities into four programmes: child exploitation, education, health care and socio-economic development. These programmes are reflected in over 250 projects supported by Terre des Hommes Netherlands.
Prevention and progressive eradication of child exploitationExploitation Bolivia
Prevention and reduction of the worst forms of child laborExploitation Peru
Reproductive Health Support for the YouthHealth Uganda
Protection and Development of Disadvantaged Children and WomenExploitation India
Transitional Foster Centre for child victims of human trafficking for sexual exploitation purposeExploitation Bolivia
Empowerment of Community Income Generating ActivitiesSocio-Economic Development Tanzania
Support for Vulnerable Children and Child LabourersExploitation Tanzania
Alternative education for child labourersBolivia
Prevention and Eradication of Domestic Child LaborExploitation Peru
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation of children in Maynas, LoretoExploitation Peru
Education and Health Care for the Devadasi Community and other Poor FamiliesExploitation India
Ashalaya Social CentreSocio-Economic Development India
Prevention and Support for Sexually Abused and Exploited ChildrenSocio-Economic Development Ethiopia
School and Family protecting girls and boys in child domestic laborExploitation Peru
Protection, Prevention and Prosecution of Child ExploitationExploitation India
Shelter for Child Victims of Violence and AbuseExploitation Kenya
Human Rights for children working in the harvests, processing of chestnut and minesExploitation Bolivia
Protection of Children at Risk from Abuse and ExploitationExploitation Bangladesh
Fight against Child Abuse and ExploitationExploitation Tanzania
Frequently asked questions
- Who or what is Terre des Hommes?
- Terre des Hommes is a children’s aid organisation established in 1965 by a group of dedicated volunteers. Currently, Terre des Hommes supports over three hundred projects worldwide in the area of education, healthcare and independence. Children living with a disability, children confronted with HIV/AIDS, and victims of child exploitation receive special attention. All projects are conceptualised, initiated and carried out by local project partners.
- What does Terre des Hommes do?
Terre des Hommes stops the exploitation of children in developing countries. With our projects in the area of education, healthcare and micro-credit, we help underprivileged children find a brighter future.
Terre des Hommes supports over three hundred projects on four continents. All projects are conceptualised, initiated and carried out by local project partners who are familiar with the problems in their communities. In addition to offering direct support to young victims of exploitation, Terre des Hommes also strives to improve the general living conditions of underprivileged children.
- Where does Terre des Hommes support projects?
- Terre des Hommes operates in four regions: South Asia, East Africa, South America and Southeast Asia. Within these regions, projects are supported in fourteen countries.
• South Asia: Bangladesh, India and Sri Lanka
• East Africa: Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda
• South America: Bolivia, Brazil and Peru
• Southeast Asia: Cambodia, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Laos
The story of Carol in Uganda
Thanks to Terre des Hommes Carol can go to school now and she dreams of becoming a doctor. Click on the picture to see her story.
In 2013 Terre des Hommes Netherlands:
Supported 433.029 children in our four regions
- 149.502 children went to school
- 1.464 communities groups were established to protect children and make them aware of children's rights
- 82.220 children received medical and psychosocial help
- 8.252 children got legal support
- 13.048 families improve their living conditions through micro credit services